President Muhammadu Buhari has imposed a curfew proscribing actions in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja.
This the President disclosed in his deal with to the nation on Sunday, March 29.
Addressing Nigerians the President mentioned, “based on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, I am directing the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days with effect from 11pm on Monday, 30th March 2020. This restriction will also apply to Ogun State due to its close proximity to Lagos and the high traffic between the two States”.
He urged all residents in these areas to remain of their houses, including that journey to or from different states ought to be postponed. All companies and workplaces inside these places must also be totally closed throughout this era.
The President revealed that the Governors of Lagos and Ogun States in addition to the Minister of the FCT have been notified.
Moreover, the president additionally said that heads of safety and intelligence businesses have additionally been briefed.
Beneath is the complete speech.
1. Fellow Nigerians,
2. From the primary indicators that Coronavirus, or COVID-19 was turning into an epidemic and was formally declared a world-wide emergency, the Federal Authorities began planning preventive, containment and healing measures within the occasion the illness hits Nigeria.
three. The entire devices of presidency at the moment are mobilized to confront what has now turn out to be each a well being emergency and an financial disaster.
four. Nigeria, sadly, confirmed its first case on 27th February 2020. Since then, we now have seen the variety of confirmed circumstances rise slowly.
5. By the morning of March 29th, 2020, the entire confirmed circumstances inside Nigeria had risen to ninety-seven.
6. Regrettably, we additionally had our first fatality, a former worker of PPMC, who died on 23rd March 2020. Our ideas and prayers are along with his household on this very troublesome time. We additionally pray for fast restoration for these contaminated and present process therapy.
7. As of right now, COVID-19 has no treatment. Scientists world wide are working very arduous to develop a vaccine.
eight. We’re in contact with these establishments as they work in direction of an answer that can be licensed by worldwide and native medical authorities inside the shortest doable time.
9. For now, the most effective and best approach to keep away from getting contaminated is thru common hygienic and sanitary practices in addition to social distancing.
10. As people, we stay the best weapon to struggle this pandemic. By washing our arms repeatedly with clear water and cleaning soap, disinfecting continuously used surfaces and areas, coughing right into a tissue or elbow and strictly adhering to an infection prevention management measures in well being services, we will comprise this virus.
11. For the reason that outbreak was reported in China, our Authorities has been monitoring the scenario carefully and learning the varied responses adopted by different nations.
12. Certainly, the Director Common of the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management (NCDC) was certainly one of ten world well being leaders invited by the World Well being Organisation to go to China and understudy their response method. I’m personally very happy with Dr Ihekweazu for doing this on behalf of all Nigerians.
13. Since his return, the NCDC has been implementing quite a few methods and applications in Nigeria to make sure that the opposed affect of this virus on our nation is minimized. We ask all Nigerians to assist the work the Federal Ministry of Well being and NCDC are doing, led by the Presidential Job Power.
14. Though we now have adopted methods used globally, our implementation applications have been tailor-made to replicate our native realities.
15. In Nigeria, we’re taking a two step method.
16. First, to guard the lives of our fellow Nigerians and residents dwelling right here and second, to protect the livelihoods of employees and enterprise homeowners to make sure their households get via this very troublesome time in dignity and with hope and peace of thoughts.
17. Thus far, we now have launched healthcare measures, border safety, fiscal and financial insurance policies in our response. We will proceed to take action because the scenario unfolds.
18. A few of these measures will certainly trigger main inconveniences to many voters. However these are sacrifices we should always all be keen and able to make for the larger good of our nation.
19. In Nigeria’s struggle towards COVID-19, there is no such thing as a such factor as an overreaction or an below response. It’s all about the best response by the best businesses and educated specialists.
20. Accordingly, as a Authorities, we are going to proceed to depend on steerage of our medical professionals and specialists on the Ministry of Well being, NCDC and different related businesses via this troublesome time.
21. I due to this fact urge all residents to stick to their pointers as they’re launched infrequently.
22. As we’re all conscious, Lagos and Abuja have nearly all of confirmed circumstances in Nigeria. Our focus due to this fact stays to urgently and drastically comprise these circumstances, and to assist different states and areas in one of the best ways we will.
23. That is why we offered an preliminary intervention of fifteen billion Naira (N15b) to assist the nationwide response as we struggle to comprise and management the unfold.
24. We additionally created a Presidential Job Power (PTF) to develop a workable Nationwide Response Technique that’s being reviewed each day as the necessities change. This technique takes worldwide greatest practices however adopts them to go well with our distinctive native circumstances.
25. Our objective is to make sure all States have the best assist and manpower to reply instantly.
26. Thus far, in Lagos and Abuja, we now have recruited a whole bunch of adhoc employees to man our name facilities and assist our tracing and testing efforts.
27. I additionally requested, via the Nigeria Governors Discussion board, for all State Governments to appoint Medical doctors and Nurses who can be educated by the NCDC and Lagos State Authorities on tactical and operational response to the virus in case it spreads to different states.
28. This coaching may even embody medical representatives from our armed forces, paramilitary and safety and intelligence businesses.
29. As a nation, our response should be guided, systematic . There’s a want for consistency throughout the nation. All inconsistencies in coverage pointers between Federal and State businesses can be eradicated.
30. As I discussed earlier, as at this morning we had ninety-seven confirmed circumstances. Majority of those are in Lagos and Abuja. All of the confirmed circumstances are getting the mandatory medical care.
31. Our businesses are presently working arduous to determine circumstances and other people these sufferers have been in touch with.
32. The few confirmed circumstances outdoors Lagos and Abuja are linked to individuals who’ve travelled from these centres.
33. We’re due to this fact working to make sure such inter state and intercity actions are restricted to stop additional unfold.
34. Primarily based on the recommendation of the Federal Ministry of Well being and the NCDC, I’m directing the cessation of all actions in Lagos and the FCT for an preliminary interval of 14 days with impact from 11pm on Monday, 30th March 2020. This restriction may even apply to Ogun State attributable to its shut proximity to Lagos and the excessive visitors between the 2 States.
35. All residents in these areas are to remain of their houses. Journey to or from different states ought to be postponed. All companies and workplaces inside these places ought to be totally closed throughout this era.
36. The Governors of Lagos and Ogun States in addition to the Minister of the FCT have been notified. Moreover, heads of safety and intelligence businesses have additionally been briefed.
37. We are going to use this containment interval to determine, hint and isolate all people which have come into contact with confirmed circumstances. We are going to make sure the therapy of confirmed circumstances whereas proscribing additional unfold to different States.
38. This order doesn’t apply to hospitals and all associated medical institutions in addition to organizations in well being care associated manufacturing and distribution.
39. Moreover, industrial institutions similar to;
a. meals processing, distribution and retail firms;
b. petroleum distribution and retail entities,
c. energy technology, transmission and distribution firms; and
d. non-public safety firms are additionally exempted.
40. Though these institutions are exempted, entry can be restricted and monitored.
41. Employees in telecommunication firms, broadcasters, print and digital media employees who can show they’re unable to make money working from home are additionally exempted.
42. All seaports in Lagos shall stay operational in accordance with the rules I issued earlier. Automobiles and drivers conveying important cargoes from these Ports to different components of the nation can be screened completely earlier than departure by the Ports Well being Authority.
43. Moreover, all automobiles conveying meals and different important humanitarian objects into these places from different components of the nation may even be screened completely earlier than they’re allowed to enter these restricted areas.
44. Accordingly, the Hon. Minister of Well being is hereby directed to redeploy all Port Well being Authority staff beforehand stationed within the Lagos and Abuja Airports to key roads that function entry and exit factors to those restricted zones.
45. Actions of all passenger plane, each industrial and personal jets, are hereby suspended. Particular permits can be issued on a wants foundation.
46. We’re totally conscious that such measures will trigger a lot hardship and inconvenience to many voters. However this can be a matter of life and dying, if we take a look at the dreadful day by day toll of deaths in Italy, France and Spain.
47. Nonetheless, we should all see this as our nationwide and patriotic obligation to regulate and comprise the unfold of this virus. I’ll due to this fact ask all of us affected by this order to place apart our private consolation to safeguard ourselves and fellow human beings. This widespread enemy can solely be managed if all of us come collectively and obey scientific and medical recommendation.
48. As we stay able to implement these measures, we should always see this as our particular person contribution within the warfare towards COVID-19. Many different nations have taken far stricter measures in a bid to regulate the unfold of the virus with constructive outcomes.
49. For residents of satellite tv for pc and commuter cities and communities round Lagos and Abuja whose livelihoods will certainly be affected by a few of these restrictive measures, we will deploy reduction supplies to ease their pains within the coming weeks.
50. Moreover, though colleges are closed, I’ve instructed the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Catastrophe Administration and Social Growth to work with State Governments in growing a technique on how you can maintain the varsity feeding program throughout this era with out compromising our social distancing insurance policies. The Minister can be contacting the affected States and agree on detailed subsequent steps.
51. Moreover, I’ve directed three month compensation moratorium for all TraderMoni, MarketMoni and FarmerMoni loans be carried out with fast impact.
52. I’ve additionally directed comparable moratorium be given to all Federal Authorities funded loans issued by the Financial institution of Business, Financial institution of Agriculture and the Nigeria Export Import Financial institution.
53. For on-lending services utilizing capital from worldwide and multilateral growth companions, I’ve directed our growth monetary establishments to have interaction these growth companions and negotiate concessions to ease the pains of the debtors.
54. For essentially the most susceptible in our society, I’ve directed that the conditional money transfers for the following two months be paid instantly. Our Internally displaced individuals may even obtain two months of meals rations within the coming weeks.
55. We additionally name on all Nigerians to take private duty to assist those that are susceptible inside their communities, serving to them with no matter they might want.
56. As all of us pray for the very best consequence, we will proceed planning for all eventualities.
57. That is why I directed that each one Federal Authorities Stadia, Pilgrims camps and different services be transformed to isolation facilities and makeshift hospitals.
58. My fellow Nigerians, as a Authorities, we are going to avail all needed sources to assist the response and restoration. We stay dedicated to do no matter it takes to confront COVID-19 in our nation.
59. We’re very grateful to see the rising assist of the non-public sector and people to the response in addition to our growth companions.
60. At this level, I’ll ask that each one contributions and donations be coordinated and centralized to make sure environment friendly and impactful spending. The Presidential Job Power stays the central coordinating physique on the COVID-19 response.
61. I need to guarantee you all that Authorities Ministries, Departments and Businesses with a job to play within the outbreak response are working arduous to deliver this virus below management.
62. Each nation on the planet is challenged presently. However we now have seen nations the place residents have come collectively to scale back the unfold of the virus.
63. I’ll due to this fact implore you once more to strictly adjust to the rules issued and likewise do your bit to assist Authorities and essentially the most susceptible in your communities.
64. I’ll take this chance to thank all our public well being workforce, well being care employees, port well being authorities and different important employees on the frontlines of the response for his or her dedication and dedication. You might be true heroes.
65. I thanks all for listening. Might God proceed to bless and defend us all.
President Muhammadu Buhari
29th March 2020.