President Muhammadu Buhari has permitted the phased and gradual easing of the lockdown in Lagos and Ogun states in addition to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
The President introduced this throughout his third nationwide broadcast on COVID-19.
“Based on the above and in line with the recommendations of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, the various Federal Government committees that have reviewed socio-economic matters and the Nigeria Governors Forum, I have approved a phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos and Ogun states effective from Monday, 4th May, 2020,” he mentioned.
Nonetheless, this will likely be adopted strictly with aggressive reinforcement of testing and phone tracing measures whereas permitting the restoration of some financial and enterprise actions in sure sectors.
The announcement means residents the three areas should keep at house below lockdown for another week earlier than the easing commences.
President Buhari had on March 29 first introduced a two-week lockdown, which turned efficient on Monday, March 30. He then prolonged it by two weeks to finish as we speak, April 27.
Learn his full speech under:
ADDRESS BY H.E. MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE CUMULATIVE LOCKDOWN ORDER OF LAGOS AND OGUN STATES AS WELL AS THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ON COVID- 19 PANDEMIC AT THE STATE HOUSE, ABUJA, MONDAY, 27th APRIL, 2020
1. Fellow Nigerians
2. I’ll begin by commending you all for the resilience and patriotism that you’ve proven in our collective combat towards the largest well being problem of our era.
three. As at yesterday, 26th April 2020, some three million confirmed circumstances of COVID-19 have been recorded globally with about 900,000 recoveries. Sadly, some 200,000 folks have handed away because of this pandemic.
four. The well being programs and economies of many countries proceed to battle because of the coronavirus pandemic.
5. Nigeria continues to adapt to those new world realities every day. At the moment, I’ll current the information as they’re and clarify our plans for the approaching months absolutely conscious that some key variables and assumptions could change within the coming days or perhaps weeks.
6. Precisely two weeks in the past, there have been 323 confirmed circumstances in 20 States and the Federal Capital Territory.
7. As at this morning, Nigeria had recorded 1,273 circumstances throughout 32 States and the FCT. Sadly, this consists of 40 deaths.
eight. I’m utilizing this chance to precise our deepest condolences to the households of all Nigerians which have misplaced their family members because of the COVID-19 pandemic. That is our collective loss and we share your grief.
9. Preliminary fashions predicted that Nigeria will report an estimated 2,000 confirmed circumstances within the first month after the index case.
10. Which means that regardless of the rise within the variety of confirmed circumstances recorded prior to now two weeks, the measures we have now put in place to date have yielded constructive outcomes towards the projections.
11. The proportion of circumstances imported from different nations has lowered to solely 19% of recent circumstances, exhibiting that our border closures yielded constructive outcomes. These are principally fellow Nigerians returning by our land borders. We are going to proceed to implement land border arrival protocols as a part of the containment technique.
12. At the moment, the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management (NCDC) has accredited 15 laboratories throughout the nation with an combination capability to undertake 2,500 exams per day throughout the nation.
13. Primarily based in your suggestions, Lagos State Authorities and the FCT with assist from NCDC have established a number of pattern assortment facilities. They’re additionally reviewing their laboratory testing technique to additional improve the variety of exams they will carry out together with the accreditation of chosen non-public laboratories that meet the accreditation standards.
14. A number of new absolutely geared up remedy and isolation centres have been operationalised throughout the nation thereby growing mattress capability to about three thousand.
15. I commend the State Governors for the activation of State-level Emergency Operation Centres, institution of recent remedy centres and the supply of aggressive threat communication methods.
16. Over 10,000 healthcare employees have been skilled. For his or her safety, further private protecting tools have been distributed to all of the states.
17. Though we have now skilled logistical challenges, we stay dedicated to establishing a strong provide chain course of to make sure these heroic professionals can work safely and are correctly geared up.
18. Consistent with our Authorities’s promise to enhance the welfare of healthcare employees, we have now signed a memorandum of understanding on the availability of hazard allowances and different incentives with key well being sector skilled associations.
19. We have now additionally procured insurance coverage cowl for five,000 frontline well being employees. At this level, I have to commend the insurance coverage sector for his or her assist in attaining this inside a brief time frame.
20. Nigeria has additionally continued to obtain assist from the worldwide group, multilateral companies, the non-public sector and public-spirited people. This assist has ensured that vital lifesaving tools and supplies, which have grow to be scarce globally, can be found for Nigeria by unique tools producers and government-to-government processes.
21. The distribution and enlargement of palliatives which I directed in my earlier broadcast remains to be on-going in a clear method. I’m conscious of the seeming frustration being confronted by expectant residents. I urge all potential beneficiaries to train endurance as we proceed to wonderful tune our logistical and distribution processes working with the State Governments.
22. Our Safety Companies proceed to rise to the problem posed by this uncommon scenario. Whereas we really feel deeply involved about remoted safety incidents, I wish to guarantee all Nigerians that your security and safety stay our major concern particularly in these troublesome and unsure occasions.
23. As we give attention to defending lives and properties, we is not going to tolerate any human rights abuse by our safety companies. The few reported incidences are regrettable, and I wish to guarantee you that the culprits will likely be delivered to justice.
24. I urge all Nigerians to proceed to cooperate and present understanding every time they encounter safety brokers. Moreover, for his or her safety, I’ve instructed that the personnel of all the safety companies be supplied with the mandatory private protecting tools towards an infection.
25. As we proceed to streamline our response within the centres of Lagos and the FCT, I’m gravely involved in regards to the unlucky developments in Kano in latest days. Though an in-depth investigation remains to be on-going, we have now determined to deploy further Federal Authorities manpower, materials and technical sources to strengthen and assist the State Authorities’s efforts, with fast impact.
26. In Kano, and certainly many different States which might be recording new circumstances, preliminary findings present that such circumstances are principally from interstate journey and rising group transmission.
27. Drawing from these, I implore all Nigerians to proceed to stick strictly to the advisories revealed by the Presidential Job Drive and the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management.
28. These embody common hand washing, bodily distancing, sporting of face masks/coverings in public, avoidance of non-essential motion and travels and avoidance of enormous gatherings.
29. Fellow Nigerians, for the previous 4 weeks, most elements of our nation have been below both Federal Authorities or State Authorities lockdown. As I discussed earlier, these steps had been obligatory and total, have contributed to slowing down the unfold of COVID-19 in our nation.
30. Nonetheless, such lockdowns have additionally come at a really heavy financial value. Lots of our residents have misplaced their technique of livelihood. Many companies have shut down. No nation can afford the total impression of a sustained lockdown whereas awaiting the event of vaccines.
31. In my final tackle, I discussed that Federal Authorities will develop methods and insurance policies that may shield lives whereas preserving livelihoods.
32. In these two weeks, the Federal and State Governments have collectively and collaboratively labored onerous on steadiness the necessity to shield well being whereas additionally preserving livelihoods, leveraging world greatest practices whereas holding in thoughts our peculiar circumstances.
33. We assessed how our factories, markets, merchants and transporters can proceed to operate whereas on the identical time adhering to NCDC pointers on hygiene and social distancing.
34. We assessed how our youngsters can proceed to be taught with out compromising their well being.
35. We reviewed how our farmers can safely plant and harvest on this wet season to make sure our meals safety just isn’t compromised. Moreover, we additionally mentioned safely transport meals gadgets from rural manufacturing areas to industrial processing zones and finally, to the important thing consumption centres.
36. Our aim was to develop implementable insurance policies that may guarantee our financial system continues to operate whereas nonetheless sustaining our aggressive response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These identical troublesome selections are being confronted by leaders around the globe.
37. Primarily based on the above and consistent with the suggestions of the Presidential Job Drive on COVID-19, the assorted Federal Authorities committees which have reviewed socio-economic issues and the Nigeria Governors Discussion board, I’ve permitted a phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos and Ogun States efficient from Monday, 4th Could, 2020.
38. Nonetheless, this will likely be adopted strictly with aggressive reinforcement of testing and phone tracing measures whereas permitting the restoration of some financial and enterprise actions in sure sectors.
39. Moreover, new nationwide measures are to be launched as follows;
a. There will likely be an in a single day curfew from 8pm to 6am. This implies all actions will likely be prohibited throughout this era aside from important providers;
b. There will likely be a ban on non-essential inter-state passenger journey till additional discover;
c. Partial and managed interstate motion of products and providers will likely be allowed for the motion of products and providers from producers to shoppers; and
d. We are going to strictly make sure the necessary use of face masks or coverings in public along with sustaining bodily distancing and private hygiene. Moreover, the restrictions on social and non secular gatherings shall stay in place. State Governments, company organisations and philanthropists are inspired to assist the manufacturing of fabric masks for residents.
40. For the avoidance of doubt, the lockdown within the FCT, Lagos and Ogun States shall stay in place till these new ones come into impact on Monday, 4th Could 2020.
41. The Presidential Job Drive shall present sector particular particulars to permit for preparations by Governments, companies and establishments.
42. In respect to the above pointers, State Governors could select to adapt and increase primarily based on their distinctive circumstances supplied they keep alignment with the rules issued above.
43. To assist our companies and merchants, the financial and monetary authorities shall deploy all the mandatory provisions wanted for manufacturing to proceed and thus, jobs restored.
44. These revised pointers is not going to apply to Kano State.
45. Close to Kano, I’ve directed the enforcement of a complete lockdown for a interval of two weeks efficient instantly. The Federal Authorities shall deploy all the mandatory human, materials and technical sources to assist the State in controlling and containing the pandemic and stopping the danger of additional unfold to neighbouring States.
46. I want to as soon as once more, commend the frontline employees throughout the nation who, every day, threat the whole lot to make sure we win this combat. For many who obtained contaminated within the line of obligation, relaxation assured that Authorities will do all it takes to assist you and your households throughout this exceedingly troublesome interval. I will even take this chance to guarantee you all that your security, wellbeing and welfare stay paramount to our Authorities.
47. I will even recognise the assist we have now acquired from our conventional rulers, the Christian Affiliation of Nigeria, the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs and different distinguished spiritual and group leaders. Your cooperation and assist have considerably contributed to the successes we have now recorded so far.
48. I’ll urge you all to please proceed to create consciousness on the seriousness of the coronavirus amongst your worshippers and communities whereas interesting that they strictly adjust to public well being advisories.
49. I additionally thank the Nigeria Governors’ Discussion board and the Presidential Job Drive for all their onerous work so far. By means of this collaboration, I stay assured that success is achievable.
50. I additionally want to thank company organisations, philanthropists, the UN system, the European Union, pleasant nations, the media and different companions which have taken up the accountability of supporting our response.
51. And eventually, I’ll thank all Nigerians once more in your endurance and cooperation throughout this troublesome and difficult interval. I guarantee you that authorities shall proceed to take all obligatory measures to guard the lives and livelihoods of our residents and residents.
52. I thanks for listening and will God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.