President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the enforcement of a complete lockdown in Kano state.
The President acknowledged this whereas addressing the nation for the third time on the COVID-19 pandemic within the nation and measures being taken to deal with it.
He acknowledged that he was gravely involved about what has been transpiring in Kano, noting that the Federal Authorities will deploy all the required human, materials and technical assets to assist the State in controlling and containing the pandemic and stopping the danger of additional unfold to neighbouring States.
Under is the complete speech as rendered by President Buhari.
ADDRESS BY H.E. MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE CUMULATIVE LOCKDOWN ORDER OF LAGOS AND OGUN STATES AS WELL AS THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ON COVID- 19 PANDEMIC AT THE STATE HOUSE, ABUJA, MONDAY, 27th APRIL, 2020
1. Fellow Nigerians
2. I’ll begin by commending you all for the resilience and patriotism that you’ve got proven in our collective struggle towards the most important well being problem of our era.
three. As at yesterday, 26th April 2020, some three million confirmed circumstances of COVID-19 have been recorded globally with about 900,000 recoveries. Sadly, some 200,000 individuals have handed away because of this pandemic.
four. The well being programs and economies of many countries proceed to wrestle because of the coronavirus pandemic.
5. Nigeria continues to adapt to those new international realities every day. At this time, I’ll current the info as they’re and clarify our plans for the approaching months absolutely conscious that some key variables and assumptions could change within the coming days or even weeks.
6. Precisely two weeks in the past, there have been 323 confirmed circumstances in 20 States and the Federal Capital Territory.
7. As at this morning, Nigeria had recorded 1,273 circumstances throughout 32 States and the FCT. Sadly, this contains 40 deaths.
eight. I’m utilizing this chance to precise our deepest condolences to the households of all Nigerians which have misplaced their family members because of the COVID-19 pandemic. That is our collective loss and we share your grief.
9. Preliminary fashions predicted that Nigeria will report an estimated 2,000 confirmed circumstances within the first month after the index case.
10. Because of this regardless of the rise within the variety of confirmed circumstances recorded up to now two weeks, the measures we now have put in place to this point have yielded optimistic outcomes towards the projections.
11. The proportion of circumstances imported from different international locations has diminished to solely 19% of recent circumstances, displaying that our border closures yielded optimistic outcomes. These are principally fellow Nigerians returning via our land borders. We are going to proceed to implement land border arrival protocols as a part of the containment technique.
12. At this time, the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management (NCDC) has accredited 15 laboratories throughout the nation with an combination capability to undertake 2,500 exams per day throughout the nation.
13. Primarily based in your suggestions, Lagos State Authorities and the FCT with assist from NCDC have established a number of pattern assortment facilities. They’re additionally reviewing their laboratory testing technique to additional improve the variety of exams they’ll carry out together with the accreditation of chosen non-public laboratories that meet the accreditation standards.
14. A number of new absolutely geared up therapy and isolation centres have been operationalised throughout the nation thereby rising mattress capability to about three thousand.
15. I commend the State Governors for the activation of State-level Emergency Operation Centres, institution of recent therapy centres and the supply of aggressive threat communication methods.
16. Over 10,000 healthcare employees have been educated. For his or her safety, extra private protecting tools have been distributed to all of the states.
17. Though we now have skilled logistical challenges, we stay dedicated to establishing a stable provide chain course of to make sure these heroic professionals can work safely and are correctly geared up.
18. In line with our Authorities’s promise to enhance the welfare of healthcare employees, we now have signed a memorandum of understanding on the supply of hazard allowances and different incentives with key well being sector skilled associations.
19. We’ve got additionally procured insurance coverage cowl for five,000 frontline well being employees. At this level, I need to commend the insurance coverage sector for his or her assist in reaching this inside a brief time period.
20. Nigeria has additionally continued to obtain assist from the worldwide group, multilateral companies, the non-public sector and public-spirited people. This assist has ensured that essential lifesaving tools and supplies, which have grow to be scarce globally, can be found for Nigeria via authentic tools producers and government-to-government processes.
21. The distribution and growth of palliatives which I directed in my earlier broadcast remains to be on-going in a clear method. I’m aware of the seeming frustration being confronted by expectant residents. I urge all potential beneficiaries to train persistence as we proceed to nice tune our logistical and distribution processes working with the State Governments.
22. Our Safety Businesses proceed to rise to the problem posed by this uncommon state of affairs. Whereas we really feel deeply involved about remoted safety incidents, I wish to guarantee all Nigerians that your security and safety stay our major concern particularly in these tough and unsure instances.
23. As we concentrate on defending lives and properties, we won’t tolerate any human rights abuse by our safety companies. The few reported incidences are regrettable, and I wish to guarantee you that the culprits will likely be delivered to justice.
24. I urge all Nigerians to proceed to cooperate and present understanding every time they encounter safety brokers. Moreover, for his or her safety, I’ve instructed that the personnel of all the safety companies be supplied with the required private protecting tools towards an infection.
25. As we proceed to streamline our response within the centres of Lagos and the FCT, I’m gravely involved in regards to the unlucky developments in Kano in latest days. Though an in-depth investigation remains to be on-going, we now have determined to deploy extra Federal Authorities manpower, materials and technical assets to strengthen and assist the State Authorities’s efforts, with quick impact.
26. In Kano, and certainly many different States which are recording new circumstances, preliminary findings present that such circumstances are principally from interstate journey and rising group transmission.
27. Drawing from these, I implore all Nigerians to proceed to stick strictly to the advisories printed by the Presidential Activity Pressure and the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management.
28. These embody common hand washing, bodily distancing, carrying of face masks/coverings in public, avoidance of non-essential motion and travels and avoidance of enormous gatherings.
29. Fellow Nigerians, for the previous 4 weeks, most components of our nation have been underneath both Federal Authorities or State Authorities lockdown. As I discussed earlier, these steps have been crucial and general, have contributed to slowing down the unfold of COVID-19 in our nation.
30. Nonetheless, such lockdowns have additionally come at a really heavy financial value. Lots of our residents have misplaced their technique of livelihood. Many companies have shut down. No nation can afford the complete impression of a sustained lockdown whereas awaiting the event of vaccines.
31. In my final handle, I discussed that Federal Authorities will develop methods and insurance policies that can shield lives whereas preserving livelihoods.
32. In these two weeks, the Federal and State Governments have collectively and collaboratively labored onerous on easy methods to steadiness the necessity to shield well being whereas additionally preserving livelihoods, leveraging international finest practices whereas protecting in thoughts our peculiar circumstances.
33. We assessed how our factories, markets, merchants and transporters can proceed to operate whereas on the identical time adhering to NCDC tips on hygiene and social distancing.
34. We assessed how our youngsters can proceed to study with out compromising their well being.
35. We reviewed how our farmers can safely plant and harvest on this wet season to make sure our meals safety will not be compromised. Moreover, we additionally mentioned easy methods to safely transport meals objects from rural manufacturing areas to industrial processing zones and finally, to the important thing consumption centres.
36. Our objective was to develop implementable insurance policies that can guarantee our financial system continues to operate whereas nonetheless sustaining our aggressive response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These identical tough choices are being confronted by leaders world wide.
37. Primarily based on the above and according to the suggestions of the Presidential Activity Pressure on COVID-19, the varied Federal Authorities committees which have reviewed socio-economic issues and the Nigeria Governors Discussion board, I’ve permitted a phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos and Ogun States efficient from Monday, 4th Could, 2020.
38. Nonetheless, this will likely be adopted strictly with aggressive reinforcement of testing and get in touch with tracing measures whereas permitting the restoration of some financial and enterprise actions in sure sectors.
39. Moreover, new nationwide measures are to be launched as follows;
a. There will likely be an in a single day curfew from 8pm to 6am. This implies all actions will likely be prohibited throughout this era aside from important companies;
b. There will likely be a ban on non-essential inter-state passenger journey till additional discover;
c. Partial and managed interstate motion of products and companies will likely be allowed for the motion of products and companies from producers to shoppers; and
d. We are going to strictly make sure the obligatory use of face masks or coverings in public along with sustaining bodily distancing and private hygiene. Moreover, the restrictions on social and spiritual gatherings shall stay in place. State Governments, company organisations and philanthropists are inspired to assist the manufacturing of fabric masks for residents.
40. For the avoidance of doubt, the lockdown within the FCT, Lagos and Ogun States shall stay in place till these new ones come into impact on Monday, 4th Could 2020.
41. The Presidential Activity Pressure shall present sector particular particulars to permit for preparations by Governments, companies and establishments.
42. In respect to the above tips, State Governors could select to adapt and increase primarily based on their distinctive circumstances offered they keep alignment with the rules issued above.
43. To assist our companies and merchants, the financial and monetary authorities shall deploy all the required provisions wanted for manufacturing to proceed and thus, jobs restored.
44. These revised tips won’t apply to Kano State.
45. With reference to Kano, I’ve directed the enforcement of a complete lockdown for a interval of two weeks efficient instantly. The Federal Authorities shall deploy all the required human, materials and technical assets to assist the State in controlling and containing the pandemic and stopping the danger of additional unfold to neighbouring States.
46. I want to as soon as once more, commend the frontline employees throughout the nation who, every day, threat every little thing to make sure we win this struggle. For individuals who received contaminated within the line of obligation, relaxation assured that Authorities will do all it takes to assist you and your households throughout this exceedingly tough interval. I may even take this chance to guarantee you all that your security, wellbeing and welfare stay paramount to our Authorities.
47. I may even recognise the assist we now have obtained from our conventional rulers, the Christian Affiliation of Nigeria, the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs and different outstanding non secular and group leaders. Your cooperation and assist have considerably contributed to the successes we now have recorded up to now.
48. I’ll urge you all to please proceed to create consciousness on the seriousness of the coronavirus amongst your worshippers and communities whereas interesting that they strictly adjust to public well being advisories.
49. I additionally thank the Nigeria Governors’ Discussion board and the Presidential Activity Pressure for all their onerous work up to now. Via this collaboration, I stay assured that success is achievable.
50. I additionally want to thank company organisations, philanthropists, the UN system, the European Union, pleasant nations, the media and different companions which have taken up the duty of supporting our response.
51. And eventually, I’ll thank all Nigerians once more in your persistence and cooperation throughout this tough and difficult interval. I guarantee you that authorities shall proceed to take all crucial measures to guard the lives and livelihoods of our residents and residents.
52. I thanks for listening and will God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.