President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday, addressed the nation as regards to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In his nationwide broadcast on the 29th of March, 2020, the President revealed that the Federal Authorities is tacking sure measures to make sure that the nation will get to win the battle towards the virus.
Certainly one of such measures is a 14-day curfew imposed on Lagos, Ogun and Abuja, ranging from 11pm on Monday, March 30.
Beneath is a full textual content of the President’s speech.
1. Fellow Nigerians,
2. From the primary indicators that Coronavirus, or COVID-19 was turning into an epidemic and was formally declared a world-wide emergency, the Federal Authorities began planning preventive, containment and healing measures within the occasion the illness hits Nigeria.
three. The entire devices of presidency at the moment are mobilized to confront what has now grow to be each a well being emergency and an financial disaster.
four. Nigeria, sadly, confirmed its first case on 27th February 2020. Since then, now we have seen the variety of confirmed instances rise slowly.
5. By the morning of March 29th, 2020, the whole confirmed instances inside Nigeria had risen to ninety-seven.
6. Regrettably, we additionally had our first fatality, a former worker of PPMC, who died on 23rd March 2020. Our ideas and prayers are along with his household on this very troublesome time. We additionally pray for fast restoration for these contaminated and present process remedy.
7. As of at the moment, COVID-19 has no treatment. Scientists world wide are working very arduous to develop a vaccine.
eight. We’re in contact with these establishments as they work in direction of an answer that will likely be licensed by worldwide and native medical authorities inside the shortest attainable time.
9. For now, one of the best and most effective technique to keep away from getting contaminated is thru common hygienic and sanitary practices in addition to social distancing.
10. As people, we stay the best weapon to combat this pandemic. By washing our arms repeatedly with clear water and cleaning soap, disinfecting regularly used surfaces and areas, coughing right into a tissue or elbow and strictly adhering to an infection prevention management measures in well being services, we will include this virus.
11. For the reason that outbreak was reported in China, our Authorities has been monitoring the scenario carefully and finding out the varied responses adopted by different international locations.
12. Certainly, the Director Common of the Nigeria Centre for Illness Management (NCDC) was one in all ten international well being leaders invited by the World Well being Organisation to go to China and understudy their response strategy. I’m personally very happy with Dr Ihekweazu for doing this on behalf of all Nigerians.
13. Since his return, the NCDC has been implementing quite a few methods and packages in Nigeria to make sure that the adversarial influence of this virus on our nation is minimized. We ask all Nigerians to assist the work the Federal Ministry of Well being and NCDC are doing, led by the Presidential Activity Pressure.
14. Though now we have adopted methods used globally, our implementation packages have been tailor-made to mirror our native realities.
15. In Nigeria, we’re taking a two step strategy.
16. First, to guard the lives of our fellow Nigerians and residents dwelling right here and second, to protect the livelihoods of staff and enterprise homeowners to make sure their households get by this very troublesome time in dignity and with hope and peace of thoughts.
17. To this point, now we have launched healthcare measures, border safety, fiscal and financial insurance policies in our response. We will proceed to take action because the scenario unfolds.
18. A few of these measures will certainly trigger main inconveniences to many voters. However these are sacrifices we must always all be keen and able to make for the larger good of our nation.
19. In Nigeria’s combat towards COVID-19, there is no such thing as a such factor as an overreaction or an underneath response. It’s all about the suitable response by the suitable companies and educated specialists.
20. Accordingly, as a Authorities, we’ll proceed to depend on steerage of our medical professionals and specialists on the Ministry of Well being, NCDC and different related companies by this troublesome time.
21. I subsequently urge all residents to stick to their tips as they’re launched infrequently.
22. As we’re all conscious, Lagos and Abuja have the vast majority of confirmed instances in Nigeria. Our focus subsequently stays to urgently and drastically include these instances, and to assist different states and areas in the easiest way we will.
23. This is the reason we supplied an preliminary intervention of fifteen billion Naira (N15b) to assist the nationwide response as we combat to include and management the unfold.
24. We additionally created a Presidential Activity Pressure (PTF) to develop a workable Nationwide Response Technique that’s being reviewed each day as the necessities change. This technique takes worldwide finest practices however adopts them to go well with our distinctive native circumstances.
25. Our purpose is to make sure all States have the suitable assist and manpower to reply instantly.
26. To this point, in Lagos and Abuja, now we have recruited tons of of adhoc workers to man our name facilities and assist our tracing and testing efforts.
27. I additionally requested, by the Nigeria Governors Discussion board, for all State Governments to appoint Docs and Nurses who will likely be educated by the NCDC and Lagos State Authorities on tactical and operational response to the virus in case it spreads to different states.
28. This coaching may even embrace medical representatives from our armed forces, paramilitary and safety and intelligence companies.
29. As a nation, our response should be guided, systematic . There’s a want for consistency throughout the nation. All inconsistencies in coverage tips between Federal and State companies will likely be eradicated.
30. As I discussed earlier, as at this morning we had ninety-seven confirmed instances. Majority of those are in Lagos and Abuja. All of the confirmed instances are getting the mandatory medical care.
31. Our companies are at the moment working arduous to establish instances and other people these sufferers have been in touch with.
32. The few confirmed instances outdoors Lagos and Abuja are linked to individuals who’ve travelled from these centres.
33. We’re subsequently working to make sure such inter state and intercity actions are restricted to forestall additional unfold.
34. Based mostly on the recommendation of the Federal Ministry of Well being and the NCDC, I’m directing the cessation of all actions in Lagos and the FCT for an preliminary interval of 14 days with impact from 11pm on Monday, 30th March 2020. This restriction may even apply to Ogun State as a result of its shut proximity to Lagos and the excessive visitors between the 2 States.
35. All residents in these areas are to remain of their houses. Journey to or from different states must be postponed. All companies and places of work inside these places must be absolutely closed throughout this era.
36. The Governors of Lagos and Ogun States in addition to the Minister of the FCT have been notified. Moreover, heads of safety and intelligence companies have additionally been briefed.
37. We’ll use this containment interval to establish, hint and isolate all people which have come into contact with confirmed instances. We’ll make sure the remedy of confirmed instances whereas proscribing additional unfold to different States.
38. This order doesn’t apply to hospitals and all associated medical institutions in addition to organizations in well being care associated manufacturing and distribution.
39. Moreover, business institutions comparable to;
a. meals processing, distribution and retail firms;
b. petroleum distribution and retail entities,
c. energy technology, transmission and distribution firms; and
d. non-public safety firms are additionally exempted.
40. Though these institutions are exempted, entry will likely be restricted and monitored.
41. Employees in telecommunication firms, broadcasters, print and digital media workers who can show they’re unable to do business from home are additionally exempted.
42. All seaports in Lagos shall stay operational in accordance with the rules I issued earlier. Autos and drivers conveying important cargoes from these Ports to different elements of the nation will likely be screened totally earlier than departure by the Ports Well being Authority.
43. Moreover, all autos conveying meals and different important humanitarian objects into these places from different elements of the nation may even be screened totally earlier than they’re allowed to enter these restricted areas.
44. Accordingly, the Hon. Minister of Well being is hereby directed to redeploy all Port Well being Authority workers beforehand stationed within the Lagos and Abuja Airports to key roads that function entry and exit factors to those restricted zones.
45. Actions of all passenger plane, each business and personal jets, are hereby suspended. Particular permits will likely be issued on a wants foundation.
46. We’re absolutely conscious that such measures will trigger a lot hardship and inconvenience to many voters. However it is a matter of life and demise, if we have a look at the dreadful every day toll of deaths in Italy, France and Spain.
47. Nevertheless, we should all see this as our nationwide and patriotic obligation to regulate and include the unfold of this virus. I’ll subsequently ask all of us affected by this order to place apart our private consolation to safeguard ourselves and fellow human beings. This widespread enemy can solely be managed if all of us come collectively and obey scientific and medical recommendation.
48. As we stay able to implement these measures, we must always see this as our particular person contribution within the battle towards COVID-19. Many different international locations have taken far stricter measures in a bid to regulate the unfold of the virus with optimistic outcomes.
49. For residents of satellite tv for pc and commuter cities and communities round Lagos and Abuja whose livelihoods will certainly be affected by a few of these restrictive measures, we will deploy reduction supplies to ease their pains within the coming weeks.
50. Moreover, though colleges are closed, I’ve instructed the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Catastrophe Administration and Social Growth to work with State Governments in growing a technique on tips on how to maintain the varsity feeding program throughout this era with out compromising our social distancing insurance policies. The Minister will likely be contacting the affected States and agree on detailed subsequent steps.
51. Moreover, I’ve directed three month reimbursement moratorium for all TraderMoni, MarketMoni and FarmerMoni loans be applied with rapid impact.
52. I’ve additionally directed related moratorium be given to all Federal Authorities funded loans issued by the Financial institution of Business, Financial institution of Agriculture and the Nigeria Export Import Financial institution.
53. For on-lending services utilizing capital from worldwide and multilateral growth companions, I’ve directed our growth monetary establishments to have interaction these growth companions and negotiate concessions to ease the pains of the debtors.
54. For probably the most weak in our society, I’ve directed that the conditional money transfers for the following two months be paid instantly. Our Internally displaced individuals may even obtain two months of meals rations within the coming weeks.
55. We additionally name on all Nigerians to take private duty to assist those that are weak inside their communities, serving to them with no matter they could want.
56. As all of us pray for the very best final result, we will proceed planning for all eventualities.
57. This is the reason I directed that every one Federal Authorities Stadia, Pilgrims camps and different services be transformed to isolation facilities and makeshift hospitals.
58. My fellow Nigerians, as a Authorities, we’ll avail all needed assets to assist the response and restoration. We stay dedicated to do no matter it takes to confront COVID-19 in our nation.
59. We’re very grateful to see the rising assist of the non-public sector and people to the response in addition to our growth companions.
60. At this level, I’ll ask that every one contributions and donations be coordinated and centralized to make sure environment friendly and impactful spending. The Presidential Activity Pressure stays the central coordinating physique on the COVID-19 response.
61. I wish to guarantee you all that Authorities Ministries, Departments and Businesses with a task to play within the outbreak response are working arduous to convey this virus underneath management.
62. Each nation on this planet is challenged at the moment. However now we have seen international locations the place residents have come collectively to cut back the unfold of the virus.
63. I’ll subsequently implore you once more to strictly adjust to the rules issued and in addition do your bit to assist Authorities and probably the most weak in your communities.
64. I’ll take this chance to thank all our public well being workforce, well being care staff, port well being authorities and different important workers on the frontlines of the response for his or her dedication and dedication. You might be true heroes.
65. I thanks all for listening. Might God proceed to bless and defend us all.
President Muhammadu Buhari.