Connect with us

Latest Aproko

Jail Break: We’ll Recapture All Escaped Inmates – Aregbesola

Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola inspects the Nigeria Correctional Service facility on Sunday (October 24, 2021).

 

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, has vowed to pursue and recapture all inmates who escaped from the Abolongo, Oyo, Oyo State, Custodial Centre of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) on Friday night time when the power got here beneath assault by gunmen.

The Minister gave the reassurance on Sunday morning throughout an inspection of the power.

“I’m assuring Nigerians that the Federal Government will pursue not just those who attacked our facility, but those who have escaped lawful custody.

“The attack was unconscionable. I commend officers of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other members of sister security agencies who provided perimeter security for our facility for fighting gallantly and holding the fort before the attackers were able to gain access to the awaiting trial section of the facility. However, those who escaped are already being pursued. Some have been rearrested, many more will still be captured,” he stated.

Giving extra particulars about those that escaped, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola famous that, 446 out of 907 escapees have been recaptured, while 69 by no means left the power.

Read Also: President Buhari To Participate In Investment Summit In Saudi Arabia

“As at the last count, 446 of the escapees have been recaptured, leaving 392 still at large. We want to assure Nigerians that the service has an updated database of the escapees which includes their biometrics. We are sharing the database with all security agencies in the country, including the Interpol, so those who escaped our recapture efforts can be nabbed.

“To those on the run, be assured you have nowhere to hide. You can run, but you can’t hide. We’ll fish you out! We are publishing details of those who escaped in the mass media so the public can assist in that effort,” the Minister reiterated.

On the efforts to rebuild the broken a part of the power, the Minister famous that he has directed the NCoS, to right away start remediation work.

“I have instructed the CG of NCoS to immediately begin the reconstruction of the damaged parts of the building. We hope to make the facility better secured and more habitable for the inmates,” he stated.

Also talking in the course of the inspection, the Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service, NCoS, Haliru Nababa (mni), famous that to date, the service has efficiently prevented inner jailbreaks in all her services.

“The NCoS have so far prevented internal jailbreaks in the country. What we have reoccurring in recent times are external attacks on our facilities. We have been retraining our officers not just on securing those in lawful custody but in preventing external attacks.

“We are collaborating with other security agencies in the country to make such attacks near impossible and where they do occur, the attackers will not live to regret it,” the CG said.

On the instruction given by the Minister of Interior to right away start remediation work on the power, CG Nababa famous that work has begun already.

“As you can see, workers are already on site fixing damaged doors, broken windows and mounting walls. Before the end of today, work would have been completed on it,” Nababa said.

Before leaving Oyo, the Minister’s entourage paid a courtesy go to to the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, and commiserated with him over the assault of the FG facility in his city.

“We are here to commiserate with your majesty over the attack in your town less than 72hours ago. Oyo is known as a peaceful town and with the measures, we are putting in place, you can be assured nothing of such will take place again,” Aregbesola assured the monarch.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *